Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Catawba -- Saponi -- Melungeon; INTRODUCTION and TOC

I have studied for many years now, about my own genealogy, and this led me to try to understand the history of the eastern Siouan peoples. I have found a lot of nonsense online. This led me to want to expose people to another way of researching. I firmly believe in Occam's Razor and the usage of the Scientific Method.
I thought I'd found a Publisher. I told them I can't afford to  pay for it and was told not to worry about that! When I was finished with it, I was sent a contract. In the contract I was to pay quite a bit. I thought this person would keep their word, but they did not. To make a long story short, I was given back the rights to my work, and I am just too tired to have to work through seeking another publisher. That book is contained in the next few blog entries. This blog entry is the introduction and table of contents. It was to have been entitled "Catawba -- Saponi -- Melungeon".


Catawba-

Saponi-

Melungeon
INTRODUCTION
First I'd like to mention a quote about United States Indian Policyat the end of the 19th century: I have to say that it is the policy of the government to abolish the tribal relationship of the Indians as fast as possible, and to settle each Indian upon a separate tract of land that he can call his own, to the end that he may become self-supporting and independent of government bounty. It would not be in keeping with this policy, I think, to gather up people who happen to have more or less Indian blood in their veins and are living among the Whites, separate and apart from Indian communities, and incorporate them into a tribe and place them upon an Indian Reservation.
I have long been interested in genealogy, but this became an obsession in the 1990’s. Genealogical information became easily accessible. I have heard that we had Cherokee blood since I was a small boy. Dad took us to local pow-wows all over southwestern Oklahoma. There was the annual “Anadarko Exposition” as well. Anadarko became famous as “Indian City, U. S. A.” I recall many local tribes participated in parades.
Once the Internet became popular, I heard from people who were of mixed race who had never come to Oklahoma -- they had remained back East. Some of my ancestors led me straight to the Cherokee surnames. I was surprised when I discovered ancestors that took me to people I’d never heard of called “Melungeons”. That led me to the Saponi. I had never heard of them, either. Who were they? They led me to the Catawba, of whom I had heard.  This was all new to me. I learned there were state recognized tribes, and other groups. I didn’t know there was such a thing as state recognition. 
First, I am very thankful to the Saponitown Forum website. When I first heard of them, I was very skeptical. I was also very naïve. In the beginning, I thought what they were telling me was probably nonsense, but they seemed to be interested in my story, so I stuck around. Having been raised in Oklahoma I had a perspective that these Easterners just didn’t have. It took me a good long while to figure out where they were coming from, and they probably thought I was odd as well. Eventually the Saponitown forum and I parted ways. But they helped start me on my way, and for that I am grateful. I’d also like to thank Dr. Thomas Blumer. He and I emailed back and forth for a couple of years, then I quit hearing from him. I have since heard he passed away. But before that, he told me about an organization called the “Western Catawba Indian Association” that tried to organize a Catawba tribe in Arkansas and Indian Territory, a. k. a. Oklahoma. What happened to this group? I’ve been trying to find out. My family was in many of the places he mentioned. I got curious about them, as well as the Cherokee. I started down the road to researching the Catawba, Saponi (one of their bands), and the Melungeons, which some of their descendants were called.
About the year 2000 or so I started commenting on a Melungeon board and was hearing a lot about the Melungeon people being “Portuguese” and me, being a stickler for facts, well I just couldn’t stomach that. This whole thing seemed ridiculous. They are saying that  of people with surnames Gibson, Collins, Moore, Bolling (a surname that goes back to Jamestown in 1607), Bunch, Sizemore and others. These surnames were NOT of Portuguese origin. Why wouldn't these people have Portuguese surnames? If they were Portuguese, why could they be traced back to England? I thought that they were mixed race American Indians from day one. Occam's razor -- accept the simplest explanation until evidence arises displacing it, as the simplest explanation. That hasn't happened, twenty years later.
Anyhow, that’s how this book got started, although at the time I never thought it would become a book. I read every book I could get my hands on. Then I read Dr. Richard Carlson’s PhD dissertation, “Who’s Your People?” I realized he’d found the answer – the Melungeons descended from the Saponi, who’d gone to Fort Christanna. The Saponi were a band of the Catawba. It all made sense! Thank you, Richard. His work tied it all together. Same with Forrest Hazel and Richard Haithcock. They had some writings I discovered, both online and in book format. It tied many of the same families together. I'd like to thank Dr. Carlson as I quote and mention his work quite a lot.
But there are still people peddling that Portuguese story. If you have ever heard the story of blind men trying to describe an elephant, well that’s what was going on. One person said the elephant resembled a tree because they felt his leg. Another man felt his trunk and said the elephant was like a mighty python, and so on. No one was looking at the big picture. The Melungeons are but one part of a larger picture. Melungeons are NOT just a tree or a snake or a Portuguese adventurer. Snakes are good and trees are good and Portuguese adventurers are good – but a tree is not an elephant, and Portuguese adventurers just aren’t an elephant, either. I thought it was important for the Melungeon people to know who they are, and to have pride in that.
I’d like to thank Linda Carter for helping put me on this path. She was administrator of the “Saponitown Forum” website for many years. Joanne Pezzullo has done a lot of work in an attempt to document the Melungeons.  We argued to no end. I learned from her, just the same.  Jack Goins, Pat Spurlock Elder are a couple of names that come to mind, as helpful researchers. Richard Haithcock and Pony Hill have done excellent work on researching other branches of some of the same families. Malinda Maynor-Lowery, Karen Blu and others provided insights about the Lumbee. 
But the Melungeons and the Saponi are but one branch of a far larger tree. I’d like to thank Paul Dutilly who knows quite a bit about the Catawba. Richard Thornton has some interesting insights that he has shared online. I strongly disagree with many of Thorton's conclusions, but I can still pick fruit from him insights. The authors of several books taught me a great deal – Alan Gallay, James Merrell, Douglas Summer Brown, Charles Hudson, Chapman Milling, Alexander Gregg, and especially Thomas Blumer -- and so many others.
I need to thank the researchers who participated in the in the Y-chromosome and mtDNA project -- specifically Roberta J. Estes, Jack H. Goins, Penny Ferguson, Janet Lewis Crain. It was a difficult task and needed to be done. All these efforts that help us seek the truth are necessary. In my search to find my family, I ran into ten dead-ends for every step forward. But they were necessary for me to find the only path to my ancestors. False leads had to be eliminated. Some of the research done lead nowhere, but by discovering they lead nowhere allowed us to look elsewhere for the truth. So, I thank all the researchers, and not just those with whom I agree.
            American Indian people of that era could be very cruel and brutal. I haven’t forgotten about that. Please remember the English and Spanish were just as cruel, and just as brutal.  
            A lot of nonsense is written about the Melungeons. I hope to show an alternative path, which I believe is the truth about the people. I hope others will be willing to listen to it.
            There was also a forgotten incident in the latter half of the nineteenth century -- Catawban peoples were promised a home in Indian Territory, now known as Oklahoma. The American government then did everything it could squash that dream. Everything that was tried had a counter argument, and the counter argument won every time. This has been forgotten and we need to be reminded of it.




TABLE OF CONTEXT
Chapter 1 – Spanish Explorers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . 4-14
Chapter 2 – English Explorers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .15-29
Chapter 3 – Indian Slave Trade in Virginia . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . 30-41
Chapter 4 – Indian Slave Trade in South Carolina . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . .42-52
Chapter 5 – The Tuscarora, Yamassee, and Jenkins Ear Wars . . .  . . . . . . . . .53-70
Chapter 6 – The French and Indian War, 1754-1763 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .71-96
Chapter 7 – The Cheraw, the Pedee, and Small Pox . . . . .  . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . 97-107
Chapter 8 – The Saponi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .108-126
Chapter 9 – One Band of the Saponi Becomes the Melungeons . . . .  . . . . . . .127-136
Chapter 10 – The American Revolution . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .137-142
Chapter 11 – The Melungeons . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .143-153
Chapter 12 – Identity Crisis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .154-166
Chapter 13 – The Sun Rises in the East, and Sets in the West . . . . . . . . . . . . .167-185
Chapter 14 – The Catawba Tribe of Indians, 54th Congress, 
          2nd session, Doc. 144, February 23rd, 1897 . . . . . . .  . .. . . . . . .186-199

1 comment: